Individuals designated as mandatory reporters typically have frequent contact with children. Such individuals may include:
- Social workers
- Teachers and other school personnel
- Physicians and other health-care workers
- Mental health professionals
- Child care providers
- Medical examiners or coroners
- Law enforcement officers
- Call the Department of Family and Children's Services Child Abuse and Neglect Center at tel. 408-299-2071.
- Complete a State of California Suspected Child Abuse Report (SS8572).
- Mail the written report (SS8572) within 36 hours of receiving the information concerning the incident to the:
Mandated reporters have immunity from civil or criminal liability as a result of making the report.Santa Clara County Department of Family and Children's Services
Child Abuse and Neglect Center
373 West Julian St. - Second Floor
San Jose CA 95110
Failure to report a suspected abuse carries a punishment not to exceed six months in jail or $1000 or both.
The identity of all persons who report shall be confidential. No supervisor or administrator may impede or prohibit reporting.